9.28.2011

Recipe Cards


Why recipe cards?

As I was searching for SWAP ideas for my Troop, I noticed that most of the SWAP ideas were just pictures.  Sometimes, there would be a brief description, which may or may not have told how to make the SWAP.  On the Making Friends website, I noticed how a very good description of a SWAP, including how to make it, was just like a recipe.  A list of ingredients (supplies) and instructions.  I started thinking that this would be helpful with making SWAPs with the Troop, as well.  

During previous camping trips, I put pictures of some traditional SWAPs on notecards, punched holes, and looped binder rings through.  I kept this set of cards in our SWAP/craft box.  I started thinking how much they looked like recipe cards.  And then I started daydreaming of a recipe box filled with SWAP instructions, or a recipe card binder, categorized.

I mostly like the idea of the recipe cards because it means that I can have a set of SWAP ideas for my girls, that are all the same size, same shape, give them the information they might need to recreate them, and have a picture if they just want inspiration.

Why are they all about the aMuse Journey?

The short answer is that they won't all be.  Last weekend was a camping SWAP.  I plan on having a Camping set of SWAP Recipe Cards.  As well as one specific to my local Council.  I also have plans for a set of Brownie Journey SWAPs.

When I was planning for this year, I noticed that there weren't many SWAPs specifically relating to the new Journey books.  Lots and lots of traditional vests, sashes, bedrolls, s'mores, tents, campfires, flashlights, and all those adorable film canister SWAPs no one can do anymore, because who can find film canisters?  But no Dez the Fashionista Spider.  No Flower Friends.  No Brownie Elf (at least not the blue one from the books).  these books are going to be part of Girl Scouts for some time in the future, so I think it only fair that they should get the same SWAP treatment at Hermie the Worm. :)

Okay, but what do I do with them?

You can either keep them as a saved image file, or you can print them off.  They should print 4-up landscape on a letter sized piece of paper or cardstock.  If you print them on paper, you can cut them out and glue them to index cards.  Then you can keep them on binder rings, in an altered recipe box, or in a binder made for keeping recipe cards.  I am considering laminating mine with my Xyron so they won't get messed up at camp.  Once I have a final destination for mine, I will post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment